Rachel Montgomery, MLS, Collection Development Librarian, Ingram Library Services
Ingram's Complimentary New Alert Service
Last month, we told you all about our Author (Adult) Standing Order program. This month, we’re going to share how new authors are added to the program, when current authors are removed from the program, and tell you about the can’t-miss new authors you’ll want to consider for your collection.
FAQ: What are the criteria for adding new authors to the program?
- We’re looking for authors who have growing demand across libraries.
- We only include authors who are releasing hardcover titles.
- We won’t add an author until they’ve had at least two to three popular titles in print, preferably in a hardcover format. We don’t want to add someone who had a popular debut novel, and then never writes again.
FAQ: What are the criteria for removing current authors from the program?
- Has the author released a hardcover title in the last three to five years?
- Has the author significantly decreased in popularity across libraries?
- Has the author passed away? Note: We won’t immediately remove an author who has passed away from the program – it’s possible that the author was working on new material and new books will be released in the future (for example, J. R. R. Tolkien), or that other authors will take up the reigns of a long-running series in their name (for example, Robert B. Parker).
Did you know? Libraries can request authors be added to the standing order program! Email your requests and we’ll research the author for the above criteria and let you know if they’ll be added.
We’ve added 11 new authors to the program so far in 2020. Here’s a little about them.
- Lorna Barret is the author of the Booktown Mystery cozy series, set in a mystery-themed bookstore in New Hampshire. Barret’s next book, Handbook for Homicide , the 14th book in the series, will be offered on the program and will be released in July.
- Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls , primarily writes standalone fiction titles in the mystery and thriller genres. Her next title, Afterland , will be offered on the program and will be released in July.
- Jane K. Cleland is the author of the Josie Prescott Antiques Mysteries, another cozy mystery series set in New Hampshire, this time centering on an antiques dealer. Cleland’s next book, Hidden Treasure , the 13th book in the series, will be offered on the program and will be released in December.
- Liv Constantine, author of The Last Mrs. Parrish , primarily writes psychological thrillers. Her latest title, The Wife Stalker , was on the program and released in May.
- Candice Fox co-authors the Harriet Blue series with James Patterson and is also the author of the Crimson Lake series, a detective thriller set in Australia.
- Lauren Groff, author of The Monsters of Templeton , Fates and Furies , and the short story collection Florida , primarily writes literary fiction.
- Jasmine Guillory is the author of the Wedding Date romantic comedy series and Royal Holiday . Her latest romance, Party of Two , is on the program and was released in June.
- Perennial romance writer, Eloisa James, author of the Desperate Duchesses and the Fairy Tales series, primarily writes historical romance.
- Kevin Kwan, author of the massively popular series (and subsequent movie) Crazy Rich Asians, will be joining the program with his next title, Sex and Vanity , which will be released in July.
- Historical romance author, Julia Quinn, of the beloved Regency romance (and soon to be on Netflix) Bridgertons series, will be joining the program when her next hardcover title is released.
- Jodi Thomas, author of the Harmony and Ransom Canyon series, primarily writes romances set in Texas.
If you have any questions about our Author (Adult) Standing Order Program or other Fiction standing order programs, email Kim Collins, Collection Development Administrator, below. She’ll be happy to help you. For Nonfiction programs, contact Dana Lynch, Collection Development Administrator, and she will be available to answer your questions.
Standing Order Program Question Submission
Be sure to check out our other programs, including our Youth Author/Illustrator and Author (Teen) programs (where several new authors have been added recently.), and keep an eye on our Collection Development Newsletter for standing order program news.